harvesting of the Nursery operation. Focus is on improving production practices, managing plant nutrition
· Oversees soil/media preparation for the nurseries.
· Manages shipping and pre-plant handling of plant material.
· Responsible for overseeing the planting and mapping of nurseries.
· Tracks all varieties; works with Program Team to maintain tracking system.
· Responsible for all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, de-weeding and testing
· Responsible for well water control.
· Check and record daily EC and PH readings and monthly light readings.
· Manages plant’s health inspection and irrigated pest/disease management.
· Manages the nursery and coordinates maintenance and repairs with appropriate parties.
· Calibrates all equipment and probes.
· Responsible for leading the documentation function of the nursery operation.
· Conduct trials/experiments to evaluate possible improvements to the crop
· Perform/track soil, water, disease tests as needed
· Identify/track/control insects
· Assist in the development and implementation of specific fertilization programs
· Monitor/control computerized greenhouse environments
· Interact/communicate with a dedicated, knowledgeable, friendly grower team
· Interpret/implement horticulture consultant’s recommendations
· Identify crop problems and determine a solution.
· Maintain a working knowledge of plant identification, cultural requirements, necessary maintenance activities and timing, and disease/insect pressures
· Proficient knowledge on Integrated Pest Management Practices (IPM)
· Both curatively and preventatively treat plant material for insects and diseases while following all regulations regarding safety and recordkeeping
· Develop and complete research programs aimed toward gains in production practices and/or efficiencies.
· Check and Update growing protocols when needed.
· Develop a regular and consistent method of scouting, nutrient monitoring and water quality monitoring
· Report to Production Manager any problems that may require shipping schedule modifications or that will affect plant inventory
· Identify and develop leaders within the ranks of Team Members
· Degree in Horticulture or Plant Science or equivalent experience would be considered.
· Minimum of five years of leadership experience.
· Pesticide private applicator license
· Knowledge of Worker Protection Standards (WPS)
· Knowledge and experience with plant diseases and their controls
· Good understanding about soil science and nutrient management in substrate.
· Knowledge and experience with pest control (Chemical/Biological)
· Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills preferred.
· Competent in use of Microsoft programs; advanced skills preferred.
· Experience with environmental control software and hardware
· Willingness and ability to learn data systems and handle devices.
· Detailed oriented, accurate, reliable, able to multitask and a team player.
· Has passion for working with people and plants.
· Ability to work weekends as needed.