Job Title/Type: Grower / Full Time
Location: Sandhill Native Growers, Inc. Arcadia, FL
Summary: Sandhill Native Growers, Inc. is seeking a quality-oriented Grower, a hands-on individual that is motivated, forward thinking and interested in production growing in a greenhouse and nursery setting. Must be able to communicate and collaborate in a team environment with both English and Spanish speaking individuals. Compensation based on relevant experience /education in woody and native plant production. The primary responsibility is to perform all duties related to plant production and produce the highest number of sellable plants as well as execute contractual growing sold by installation/nursery sales team.
- · Implement and maintain comprehensive propagation program via cuttings, seed collection, germination, bare root transplanting and other methods of producing quality, Florida native and Florida Friendly shrubs, grasses, trees and groundcovers.
- · Pest and disease control through scouting, using the appropriate pesticides, etc. with biological control efforts in order to prevent and cure
- · Training and direct supervision of crew in all procedures and processes related to plant production and preparation for completed orders
- · Oversee greenhouse production, systems, environmental controls, & monitoring
- · Enforcement of WPS and participation in overall company compliance
- · Plan production, fertilization, weed, and seed collection schedules
- · Maintaining inventory of all material & supplies needed for production
- · Education/Experience: B.S. in Horticulture or closely related field
- · Five years of greenhouse/nursery production experience required
- · Communication Level: Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred but not required
- · Certifications/Licenses Required: Must have a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record, International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) license or ability to obtain within 1-year, Commercial pesticide license or ability to obtain within 6-months
- · Proficient in Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, Outlook Email, OneNote
Physical Demands & Work Environments/Conditions:
- · The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to see, hear, talk, sit, walk, push, pull, twist, lift, squat, and stand. Must be able to lift and carry approximately 50 pounds occasionally.
- · Must be able to work outdoors in hot, wet, and humid conditions as well as inside an office setting. Individual can be exposed to the sun, wind, soil, rain, and various plant and animal life.
- · This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the position.
What You Can Expect from Sandhill:
- · You can expect to be challenged each day to work hard and bring value to the company
- · You can expect to work with a great team of individuals who want you to succeed at every level
- · You can expect the support you need to learn and grow with this company
- · You can expect to have the freedom to create and develop your own talents, managing yourself, your time, and those you lead
- · You can expect a sense of satisfaction that you are a part of a company that takes pride in the Florida native plant industry and seeing the real benefits environmental stewardship it creates in our state
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org