Grower / Nursery Manager
Position: Grower / Nursery Manager
Objective: The Grower is responsible for the efficient and effective production, acquisition, and care of quality plants through proper horticultural practices and team management. This individual will work closely with the landscape operations team and oversee the nursery crew to ensure that quality plants are provided for landscaping projects.
1. Nursery Operations
a. Responsible for all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, pruning, propagation, etc.
b. Develop and implement production plan in sync with landscape project requirements
c. Monitor, care for, and organize all plants in nursery
d. Proactively identify and control pest and disease pressure
e. Maintain spray program, certification, and records
f. Support and participate in the development, implementation, and refinement of nursery processes and innovations
g. Maintain updated plant inventory and landscape project allocations
h. Various tasks and projects, as required
2. Plant Acquisition
a. Identify, quote, and create plant material purchase orders as needed for landscape projects
b. Coordinate with accounting, estimating, and landscape departments to confirm accuracy in plant cost and availability
c. Schedule plant arrivals and deliveries in a manner that optimizes costs and plant availability for projects
d. Identify and engage potential new nursery partners to maintain competitive plant pricing and quality
e. Maintain positive working relationships with nursery suppliers
3. Team Management
a. Create, distribute, and track written work orders, ensuring work is planned and completed in a timely and effective manner
b. Train crew on best practices and desired techniques for plant growth and quality. Supervise as needed
c. Maintain a safe and clean working environment through incorporation of best practices, regular safety meetings, and safety policy enforcement
d. Manage crew schedule, timecards, and projects to optimize and track labor costs
Qualifications & Specific Skills:
1. Minimum 3 years’ hands on and management experience in commercial nurseries.
2. B.S. in Agronomy, Plant Science, or Horticulture preferred.
3. Very strong organizational and planning skills; ability to manage changing priorities and workflow.
4. A dedication to learning and improving company standards, procedures, and goals.
5. Exercises good judgment and is accountable.
6. Willingness to work long hours, including overtime and weekends, and assist with other projects, as required.
7. Competent verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
8. Committed to continual skill enhancement for top level industry performance.
9. Cost conscious and effective at cost control.
10. Good judgment as related to all job functions; eye for detail, strong work ethic, punctual, ethical.
11. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
12. Valid Florida driver’s license
13. Possess pertinent physical requirements commensurate with the job.
Reports to: VP of Operations