Naples Botanical Garden is a 170-acre world-class paradise, featuring the flora and cultures of the tropics and sub-tropics including Brazil, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and Florida. The Garden’s mission is to connect people and plants through display, education, conservation, and applied science. The Garden has beautifully restored native habitats, cultivated gardens, walking trails, and public programming that offer education and enjoyment for people of all ages. Naples Botanical Garden is a 501(c)3 organization.
Position Summary: In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing all nursery managerial functions including overseeing and training staff, ordering materials, managing pest control and fertilization schedules, and responding to Naples Botanical staff requests. You will also be required to grow and maintain, trees, shrubs, and flowers. The Naples Botanical Garden has a diverse botanical collection that includes orchids, epiphytes, rare tropical trees and palms, tropical fruit, cacti, and various other unique collections. Ultimate destination for plant material will be the Naples Botanical Garden, Collier County projects and partners throughout the Caribbean. To ensure success as a Nursery Manager, you should be organized, excellent managerial skills, and a passion for horticulture. Nursery Manger should be able to maintain a healthy nursery ecosystem and ensure the success of the nursery.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Overseeing and improving the daily functions of the nursery.
• Maintaining the Garden plant collection.
• Maintaining rotating annual crops; flower and vegetable.
• Opening the nursery in the morning and closing at the end of the business day.
• Training nursery staff and delegating duties.
• Monitoring nursery stock including soil, fertilizers, and pots.
• Growing plants, trees, and shrubs from seed or seedlings and stepping up to appropriately sized containers. Preparing plants for their final use.
• Monitoring watering times, soil conditions, and plant positions.
• Monitoring weather conditions and paying special attention to hot or cold temperature requirements.
• 1+ Years’ experience working as a Nursery Manager or Assistant.
• Excellent communication and managerial skills.
• Professional and friendly demeanor.
• Detailed knowledge of plant production, soil, fertilizers, and growing techniques.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a passion for horticulture.
• Responsible and punctual.
• A pre-employment background check required.
Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Garden has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to age, creed, gender, national origin or ancestry, race, color, religion, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, HIV status, genetic information, sexual orientation, handicap or mental or physical disability, sex, age, or disability.