Job Title: Grower Manager
Location: Alva, Florida
Reports To: Managing Director
FLSA Status: exempt
About Aris Keepsake Plants: We are a leading grower and researcher of high quality ornamental plant products. With 90 years of experience, we understand the business challenges of our customers and continually strive to bring better plants to market, more efficiently and more profitably.
Supplier of starter and finished plants of Keepsake Azaleas, tropical TradeWinds Hibiscus, Hydrangea and Sun Parasol® Mandevilla, as well as Pot Mums, Garden Mums and Asters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties as assigned.
· Supervise and develop growing staff
· Take an active role in the day to day tasks and operations as Grower Manager
· Execute mandated compliance concerning pesticide application and storage. Florida pesticide applicators license must be maintained or acquired within 6 months of employment.
· Work with growing staff to establish, and maintain appropriate crop environments, mist programs, fertilization, irrigation, pest and disease management
· Oversees a 7 day- 24 hour operation and is responsible for off duty and emergency coverage. Weekend and holiday hours may be required
· Prepare annual budget and forecast
· Monitor labor and material orders
· Oversee procurement of growing department operating supplies
· Oversee computerized environmental controls (Argus); Respond to Argus alerts
· Development, deployment and improvement of documented standard processes and procedures consistent with our lean thinking culture and our pursuit of operational improvements in safety, conformance to schedule, scrap reduction and cost reduction
· Work as a team with Production Planning, Operations, Facilities, Production manager and any other departments to maintain and improve quality and update crop schedules.
· Establish short and intermediate team operational plans and objectives, identify and estimate resource needs, facilitate work flow and distribute assignments
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages subordinate supervisors who supervise employees in the Growing department. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the growing department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; recognition and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Job Specific Competencies
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Horticulture, or related discipline.
2. 5 years’ experience in liner and finished plant production
3. Experience in documentation of contemporary propagation and growing practices and procedures
4. Experience with pesticide and fertilizer application and regulation in the greenhouse
5. Strong communication, interpersonal and team development
6. Demonstrated self-motivation, initiative, assertiveness, team based solutions and results
7. Ability to lead in a fast paced, team environment
We offer an excellent starting salary along with a competitive compensation package which includes medical, dental/vision insurance, 401K and paid vacation/holidays.
Please forward your resume and salary requirements to:
Keepsake Plants Inc.
2201 Owanita Road
Alva, FL 33920
Attn: Stacey Santos, Human Resources Manager
(239)728-2535 ext. 3133